It seems that many Celtic fans would be happy to wait around for a few months and land John McGinn on a pre-contract agreement in January.
As reported by the Daily Record, Hibernian have rejected a second bid from the Scottish Premiership champions this month, the latest understood to be in the region of £2 million. Hibs value McGinn at closer to £3 million.
Although Celtic hold all the cards here. McGinn has just one year left on his contract and, unless someone else buys him before the window slams shut, the Hoops will be able to nab the nine-time Scotland international on a free transfer.
But how do Celtic fans feel as their chase for McGinn - which has gone on now for at least 14 months - rumbles on?
Well, for all those claiming that Celtic are right to sit and wait until January, which the Daily Record claims is now the plan, others are pointing out that this is a risky strategy.
A whole host of clubs have been linked with McGinn in recent weeks and there is certainly a chance that Hibs will have to field offers from rival clubs before the window slams shut.
Leave him 6 months and get him for nothing next season.— Everyone is Dead Dave (@Red_Dwarf_Posse) July 11, 2018
One for Jan 2019 then— gerrymoth (@gerrymoth) July 11, 2018
Only a matter of time before they give in to their big team and he becomes a Celtic player.— Dave (@Davyshaw72) July 12, 2018
Not needed, at this moment in time he would be a squad player at best.— Derek Crawford (@deeko1978) July 11, 2018
We don’t need to spend over 2m for someone we can sign a pre contract in 6mths.— Joe McGeachy (@geach65) July 11, 2018
We have a fair amount of midfield options. I would love to have him but not overpaying at this point
Get him for nothing in January— polg (@penecelt) July 11, 2018
IF John McGinn has no desire to go to England then Celtic hold all the cards here with another day ticking away towards January. Hibs cannot afford to knock back a couple of million for him under the above circumstances. HH— matt mcglone (@MattMcGlone9) July 12, 2018
Absolutely, we’re in the driving seat 100%. IF John was thinking of a decent deal in England then Celtic would be told through the grapevine and the club would then have a decision to make about whether or not to up it or pursue it any further HH☘️— matt mcglone (@MattMcGlone9) July 12, 2018
Don’t know why we are penny pinching. Could lose out on a potentially good player.— J (@the_LEGEND1976) July 12, 2018