Tottenham play-maker Christian Eriksen denies reports of contact with Barcelona

Giant Spurs banner during the Premier League match between Tottenham Hotspur and Burnley at Wembley Stadium on August 27, 2017 in London, England.

Tottenham maestro Christian Eriksen has rubbished claims that he has been contacted by La Liga champions Barcelona this summer.

Christian Eriksen of Tottenham Hotspur kicks the ball during the Premier League match between Tottenham Hotspur and Leicester City at Wembley Stadium on May 13, 2018 in London, England.

Tottenham's superstar play-maker Christian Eriksen has denied claims that he's been contacted by Barcelona over a potential summer deal, revealing instead that the stories are "just rumours," in quotes via Danish Newspaper Fyens.

Recent reports from Spain (Don Balon), had suggested that Eriksen had been in frequent contact with the La Liga champions, who are still being linked to the Danish international regularly.

Eriksen was touted as an alternative to Philippe Coutinho in January, but Barcelona managed to secure their man in a mammoth £142million move, and the Dane has instead gone from strength to strength in north London - bagging 14 goals and 11 assists this term.

Christian Eriksen of Tottenham Hotspur scores his side's third goal during the UEFA Champions League group H match between Tottenham Hotspur and Real Madrid at Wembley Stadium on November...

"They have not called, it's just rumours," Eriksen told to Fyens.

This news comes shortly after recent comments from Thomas Sorensen (via Omnisport), who suggested that Eriksen would have to consider making the switch if either Real Madrid or Barcelona came calling.

"He's mature enough now to go to a big club like that with the expectations and playing with other great players. He is at the right time now that he's ready for that so, if the opportunity comes and it's possible for him, he should go," Sorensen said.

Register for TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch