Feyenoord chief defends decision not to sell Nicolai Jorgensen to Newcastle

Feyenoord's Nicolai Jorgensen celebrates after scoring during the UEFA Champions League Group F football match between FC Shakhtar Donetsk and Feyenoord at the Metalist stadium in Kharkiv...

Newcastle United failed to land Feyenoord's Nicolai Jorgensen last month.

Feyenoord's Nicolai Jorgensen celebrates after scoring during the UEFA Champions League Group F football match between FC Shakhtar Donetsk and Feyenoord at the Metalist stadium in Kharkiv...

Feyenoord general manager Jan de Jong has told Algemeen Dagblad that he doesn't have any regrets over the decision not to sell striker Nicolai Jorgensen to Newcastle United last month.

The Rotterdam side swooped to land Jorgensen from Copenhagen back in the summer of 2016, and he starred last season, smashing 21 goals in 32 league games to fire Feyenoord to the Eredivisie title.

Jorgensen, 27, has scored nine times in 23 games this season, and looks set to feature prominently for Denmark at the World Cup in Russia this summer, which may just spark further interest in his signature.

Nicolai Jorgensen of Feyenoord celebrates after scoring his sides first goal during the UEFA Champions League group F match between Feyenoord and SSC Napoli at Feijenoord Stadion on...

Late into the January transfer window, Jorgensen's future became a hot topic of conversation, as Sky Sports reported that Newcastle failed with a £15million bid for the striker.

Feyenoord stood firm despite Newcastle's repeated attempts to secure a deal, and some believe that the Dutch side have taken a major gamble in refusing to sell the hitman, instead banking on a bigger fee this summer.

It remains to be seen if Newcastle even return for Jorgensen, and whilst the World Cup could work in Feyenoord's favour, clubs may not be too keen to spend more than £20million on a 27-year-old striker with limited experience outside of Denmark and the Netherlands.

Jean-Paul Boetius and Nicolai Jorgensen of Feyenoord celebrate a goal during the friendly match between Feyenoord and Real Sociedad at De Kuip or Stadion Feijenoord on July 29, 2017 in...

Now, Feyenoord general manager Jan de Jong has told Algemeen Dagblad that the club simply wanted to keep their best players at De Kuip, and there is no regret that they turned down considerable bids, noting that Feyenoord simply didn't have to sell, so refused to.

"We wanted to keep as strong a team as possible and Jorgensen is part of that,” said De Jong. “We do not regret having kept him at De Kuip, otherwise we would have let him go. We did not have to sell him, so he just stays with Feyenoord,” he added.

Feyenoord's Danish striker Nicolai Jorgensen (R) celebrates with Feyenoord's Dutch defender Bart Nieuwkoop after scoring a goal  during the UEFA Champions League Group F football match...

FIFA World Cup 2018FIFA 2018 World Cup Russia - click here for all of our coverage...

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch