Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson has told Sky Sports that Celtic are miles away from their valuation on goalkeeper Trevor Carson ahead of the transfer deadline.
Celtic have already signed three players this month, landing Marvin Compper, Lewis Morgan and Charly Musonda, and are now looking to dip back into the market again.
An injury to goalkeeper Craig Gordon means that Celtic are depleted between the sticks, with some doubt over Dorus de Vries' ability after some shaky displays in the past, and Conor Hazard recently loaned out to Falkirk.
Manager Brendan Rodgers will now try to find another goalkeeper before Wednesday's transfer deadline, but he has already failed with one offer for a shot-stopper.
Carson, 29, only joined Motherwell from Hartlepool United last summer, but he has put in some impressive displays this season, sparking interest from fellow Northern Irishman Rodgers.
It remains to be seen whether Celtic return with another bid before the deadline, but they have been offered something of a warning by Motherwell boss Stephen Robinson.
Speaking to Sky Sports earlier today, Robinson has suggested that the two teams are miles away in their valuations of the goalkeeper, and Celtic must now make a 'very good bid' to tempt Motherwell into a deal so close to the deadline.
“I spoke to Brendan [on Monday] after he had the courtesy to ring me. We then passed it over to the money men, Alan Burrows and Peter Lawwell,” said Robinson. “They had a chat but realised our valuations were miles away from one another. That's as far as it has gone at the minute. Trevor is a Motherwell player and will stay a Motherwell player until our valuations are met. He is very much committed to Motherwell. He has two-and-a-half years left on his contract and it's 24 hours left until the close of the window, so people will be sold from this football club at the right price when we decide, not when others decide.”
“It would certainly make things very difficult for me [if Celtic did meet Carson's valuation]. Player's valuations go up and down depending on what point in the window you're at because the closer you are to the end then the timescale to replace them becomes very difficult. So it would have to be a very good bid for us to let Trevor go. But yeah, it would be the nightmare scenario if we had to let him go now. However, we always have things that we can do. Whether you can do that in 24 hours remains to be seen and hopefully we won't have to do that,” he added.