Everton boss Sam Allardyce has told Sky Sports that the club have done all they can to sign Besiktas striker Cenk Tosun – but face a waiting game.
The Toffees lost their first game under Allardyce over the weekend, falling to a 2-1 defeat at Bournemouth, and Allardyce has now lost two in a row.
Manchester United claimed a 2-0 win over Everton at Goodison Park on Monday night, with Everton failing to find the back of the net once again.
Whilst Allardyce has tightened up the Everton defence, just one goal in the last four games has been a concern, again highlighting the club's failure to replace Romelu Lukaku over the summer.
Everton are now expected to sign a new striker this month, with the transfer window open once again, and they have zeroed in on their top target.
The Toffees have been targeting a deal for Besiktas hitman Cenk Tosun, who has racked up 14 goals in 24 games in all competitions so far this season.
A deal was thought to be close for the 26-year-old hitman, but The Mirror reported on Monday that a deal could collapse after Besiktas changed their asking price.
Now, Everton boss Allardyce has told Sky Sports that there is no immediate update on Tosun, simply stating that Everton have tried everything they can in order to sign him, and hope to find out today whether the deal will go through.
“Not particularly at the minute, apart from we have done all we can to try and secure the player,” said Allardyce. “Whether that is enough, only time will tell within the next 24 hours,” he added.