Quick links

Newcastle United

Newcastle United boss Rafael Benitez's past comments on Fernando Torres

Rafael Benitez, the Newcastle United manager looks on during the Premier League match between Huddersfield Town and Newcastle United at John Smith's Stadium on August 20, 2017 in...

Newcastle United are said to be interested in signing Fernando Torres.

Fernando Torres of Atletico Madrid during a Pre Season Friendly between Brighton & Hove Albion and Atletico Madrid at Amex Stadium on August 6, 2017 in Brighton, England.

Newcastle United have been linked with Fernando Torres in the Daily Mirror recently, and looking back at past comments from Rafael Benitez, is it clear to see how highly he rates the Spanish forward.

Torres, who is currently at Atletico Madrid, is said to want a move back to the Premier League and Newcastle are keen to offer him a home.

The Magpies are looking for a new striker, and feel that Torres could be the answer to their goalscoring problems.

Fernando Torres of Club Atletico de Madrid looks on during the La Liga match between Leganes and Atletico Madrid at Estadio Municipal de Butarque on September 30, 2017 in Leganes, Spain.

Although the 33-year-old has not scored prolifically for Atleti, he would be a high profile capture and Benitez knows him well.

Benitez worked with Torres at Liverpool, earlier in their respective careers, and he helped turn the striker into a genuine superstar.

Indeed, back in 2008, Benitez told the Telegraph that he felt that Torres was the best striker in the world.

He said: "He [Torres] was a big price but we knew we were signing a young player who could improve. His value is higher now. He was a good signing in every sense.

Spain's  Fernando Torres celebrates his goal during their friendly football match at Madrigal Stadium in Villarreal on November 19, 2008.  AFP PHOTO

"I would not want to swap Fernando for anyone else in the world because he is my player and I'm very pleased with him.

"There are good players in Europe and all the way around the world, but better than Torres - no.”

Torres may have lost the electric pace which once made him one of the most fearsome strikers in world football, but he still remains an exciting potential buy for Newcastle.

Newcastle should have more money to spend in January, following the expected takeover from Amanda Staveley, and that could enable the transfer to take place.

If Torres does move to St. James’ Park, he will be in competition with Dwight Gayle, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Joselu for a first-team place.

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch