Quick links

Arsenal

Arsène Wenger confirms Arsenal will revisit move for Thomas Lemar

France's forward Thomas Lemar (L) gestures during a training session at the Municipal Stadium in Toulouse southern France, on September 2, 2017, on the eve of the of the FIFA World Cup...

Arsène Wenger has said he will revisit his interest in the Monaco forward Thomas Lemar, after confirming Arsenal submitted a late £92m bid for the France international before the transfer deadline on Thursday.

Wenger said Arsenal met Monaco’s €100m (£92m) asking price for the 21-year-old but that Lemar decided against a move away from the Ligue 1 champions. Arsenal made three bids for Lemar earlier in the summer, the biggest being worth €50m, but even the late €100m offer did not get over the line.

Speaking on Téléfoot, a French football programme, Wenger said: “€100m for Lemar? Yes all true, I wanted him. He decided to stay at Monaco. We will come back for him.”

Alexis Sánchez’s proposed move to Manchester City collapsed as a result of Arsenal’s failure to push through a late move for Lemar, with a medical virtually impossible due because the player was on international duty. He scored twice in France’s resounding 4-0 win against Holland on Thursday.

City had put forward a second cash offer for Sánchez, which was worth £55m plus £5m in add-ons. Arsenal were inclined to accept it, with the player keen on the move but Sánchez saw any departure ultimately blocked.

Powered by Guardian.co.ukThis article was written by Guardian sport, for The Guardian on Sunday 3rd September 2017 13.16 Europe/London

guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010

 

Register for ARSENAL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch