Merson says Ross Barkley wouldn’t get into Tottenham or Arsenal side

Paul Merson - Walsall Manager

Tottenham Hotspur and Arsenal have been linked with Everton’s Ross Barkley in the summer transfer window.

Everton's Ross Barkley in action with Tottenham's Jan Vertonghen

Ross Barkley is one of the best attacking midfielders in the Premier League and has played well for Everton this season.

The 23-year-old has scored five goals and provided eight assists in 35 Premier League appearances for the Toffees so far this campaign.

The England international has a lot of potential and is hugely promising, and he has been linked with moves away from the Merseyside outfit in the summer transfer window.

Everton's Ross Barkley celebrates scoring their first goal

According to The Daily Mail, North London clubs Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur are interested in signing Barkley in the summer.

Barkley would not be cheap, though, as, according to The Times, Everton want as much as £50 million if they are to part company with the Englishman.

If the midfielder does leave the Toffees in the summer transfer window, then the question is which club he would go to where he would be an instant starter.

Former Arsenal attacker Paul Merson has suggested that Barkley would not get into the starting lineup at Tottenham or the Gunners.

"I'm a big fan of his and have a lot of time for him, definitely, but if he goes to Tottenham he won't play in that team,” said Merson about Barkley on the Gillette Soccer Saturday show on Sky Sports News HQ last Saturday afternoon (broadcast from 12pm, May 13, 2017). “If he goes to Arsenal, he probably won't go in that team.”

Paul Merson - Walsall Manager

Register for ARSENAL team updates

Register for TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR team updates

Register for EVERTON team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch