Doncaster Rovers manager Darren Ferguson
Doncaster Rovers boss Darren Ferguson has explained why a permanent deal for Everton's Conor Grant collapsed.
And the Scot was expecting to complete formalities in the aftermath of the Yorkshire side's promotion from League Two.
However, a statement on Doncaster's website on Tuesday read: "Conor Grant has returned to parent club Everton after his loan expired, and Rovers will not pursue a permanent move at this time," leaving it unclear as to which of the three parties had pulled the plug.
Ferguson has since told the Thorne Gazette it was Rovers who were responsible, admitting Grant had been "disappointing" in his second spell at the Keepmoat Stadium.
"The finances come into it because it was quite a large fee, but we knew that anyway," he said. "I think the boy has been disappointing. He’s not had the impact he made the first time he came last year.
"I think it could be down to him missing pre-season, then going to Ipswich and not playing much football while he was there. It might have had an effect.
Doncaster Rovers' Conor Grant in action
"The midfield is an area of the pitch I need to strengthen. I’m hopefully going to get one or two in there.
"We’ve decided not to take the option on Conor because the fee and everything that comes with that would be a large amount of what I could spend."
According to the Thorne Gazette, Ferguson did however admit he could entertain another loan move for Grant, whose Everton contract runs until the end of next season.
Everton's Conor Grant in action
Fazakerley-born Grant came through the ranks at the Merseyside club, although the 22-year-old is still awaiting his first competitive appearance for the Toffees, who have loaned him out to Motherwell, Ipswich Town and Rovers (twice).
What next for Everton's Grant after his failed Doncaster move?