Wayne Rooney is one of the greatest players in the history of the Premier League and is, without doubt, a Manchester United legend.
The England international’s influence in the United first team may have dwindled over the past two or so seasons, but no one can question his contribution to the Red Devils’ success 10 or so years prior.
The 31-year-old forward, who has also been deployed as a midfielder, has won the Premier League title five times, the FA Cup once and the Champions League on one occasion with United.
Rooney’s current contract with United is until June 2019, according to Transfermarkt.co.uk, but could he leave Old Trafford at the end of the season?
Everton director of football Steve Walsh recently told The Times that Rooney would be welcomed back at Goodison Park.
Former Celtic and Arsenal forward Charlie Nicholas, though, does not believe that moving back to Everton would be a good decision from the 31-year-old.
The former Scotland international, who now works as a pundit for Sky Sports, has stated that he could see Rooney switching to Newcastle United if they returned to the Premier League.
Newcastle are playing in the Championship this season after getting relegated from the Premier League at the end of the season.
“I don’t think so,” said Nicholas on the Gillette Soccer Saturday show on Sky Sports News HQ last Saturday afternoon (broadcast from 12pm, March 4, 2017) when asked if Rooney would enhance Everton’s team.
“There is no bigger fan of Rooney than me, but I don’t think it is a step forward, that. It’s sentimental.
“I don’t think football has a lot of space for that, and that's why I said last week that I could see him go to America, I could see somebody like if Newcastle came up, a big club making a big signing, that would be important.”