Sky Sports pundit says he couldn’t believe Everton signed Maarten Stekelenburg

General view outside Goodison Park before the match

Everton sign Maarten Stekelenburg from Fulham in the summer transfer window.

Former Celtic and Arsenal forward Charlie Nicholas said on the Gillette Soccer Saturday show on Sky Sports News HQ on Saturday afternoon (broadcast from 12pm, December 10, 2016) that Everton should not have signed Maarten Stekelenburg in the summer transfer window.

Premier League side Everton recruited Stekelenburg from Championship outfit Fulham in the summer.

The Dutch goalkeeper has established himself as the first-choice goalkeeper at the Toffees.

Everton's Maarten Stekelenburg

The 34-year-old is a very experienced goalkeeper and has played for big clubs such as Ajax and AS Roma, but the veteran has not been in good form so far this season.

The former Fulham custodian has made mistakes, and ex-Arsenal forward Nicholas has stated that he could not believe that Everton manager Ronald Koeman signed him in the summer transfer window.

“I couldn’t believe he signed him,” said Nicholas on the Gillette Soccer Saturday show on Sky Sports News HQ on Saturday afternoon (broadcast from 12pm, December 10, 2016). “I couldn’t believe he signed him. I really couldn’t.”

Everton's Maarten Stekelenburg applauds fans at full time

Everton are ninth in the Premier League table at the moment with 20 points from 15 matches.

The Toffees are 10 points behind Manchester City, who are currently fourth in the standings and occupy the final Champions League spot.

The Merseyside outfit will return to action this evening when they take on Arsenal at Goodison Park in the Premier League.

FIFA World Cup 2018FIFA 2018 World Cup Russia - click here for all of our coverage...

Register for EVERTON team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch