Bournemouth fans have been expressing their collective disappointment on social media after their poor start to the season continued with a 3-2 home defeat to Preston North End in the EFL Cup on Tuesday evening.
A hat-trick from Danish striker Simon Makienok won the game for the visitors, who took the lead at the Vitality Stadium after just 10 minutes when the forward finished well from inside the area.
Simon Makienok - pictured here with Charlton - scored a hat-trick for Preston
Lewis Grabban equalised from the spot for Bournemouth early in the second half, and when Dan Gosling gave the Premier League side the lead with just 14 minutes left to play it looked as if the hosts may have done enough despite a poor performance.
Preston had other ideas, however, and found the leveller on 85 minutes through Makienok's header. The 25-year-old then poked home in the second period of extra time to send Simon Grayson's side into the fourth round and leave Bournemouth frustrated.
Bournemouth's Tyrone Mings was back in the side after a year out
Eddie Howe had made 11 changes from the side that were heavily defeated at Manchester City on Saturday - including a long-awaited return to the starting XI for Tyrone Mings after a year on the sidelines - but the fringe players failed to impress.
Fans on Twitter were also unhappy about a ticketing fiasco, with reports of large crowds still outside the stadium trying to get in when the game was well underway.
Kids trudging away from DC with their Dads in tears. Their first #afcb game they could get tickets too. Not upset for me, upset for the rest— Sam Davis (@samdavisuk) September 20, 2016
Steward says some tickets have been sold 3 times over so has had to move people again and again. Shocking mismanagement going on here. #AFCB— Tom Latchem (@theboylatch) September 20, 2016
All those potential #AFCB fans lost due to club incompetence..— Adrian (@AyJayL) September 20, 2016
They have just announced if you have pre paid they have set up in the main reception to collect and it's nearly half time #afcb— Steve Amey (@StephenAmey) September 20, 2016
The match itself did little to improve the mood amongst the Cherries faithful, who were quick to express their frustrations in the aftermath of their exit from the competition.
Our front four of Grabban, Mousset, Gradel, and Afobe cost a combined fee of roughly £30m, and they can't outscore Preston North End. #afcb— Sam (@SamStapleton_) September 20, 2016
Defending is getting increasingly alarming week after week #afcb— Ben Elms (@benelms) September 20, 2016
Amazing how a squad pre-season can look so strong and turn into a squad full of 'dead wood' two months in. Haven't started at all yet. #afcb— Roots (@SamuelJRoots) September 20, 2016
Seems like the majority of the fans that have been with the club for years aren't enjoying the new times. Miss the lower leagues #afcb— Andrew Hardiman (@AHardiman22) September 20, 2016
The Bournemouth manager was also far from impressed at what he had witnessed from his side.
Eddie Howe absolutely fuming. Says he can't remember previously having to apologise for a performance since he returned. #afcb— Kris Temple (@kristemple) September 20, 2016
Bournemouth host Ronald Koeman's Everton this weekend
Having issued his apology to the fans through the club website, Howe will no doubt be laying down the law to his squad for the remainder of the week as they prepare to host Everton on Saturday.
After a poor night on and off the pitch on Tuesday, Cherries fans will be hoping for a vast improvement when Ronald Koeman's in-form Toffees come to town.