Aston Villa boss Roberto Di Matteo confirms Scott Sinclair subject of Celtic bid

Scott Sinclair celebrates after scoring the first goal for Aston Villa from the penalty spot

Reports on Friday have suggested that the 27-year-old winger is already on his way to Parkhead to undergo a medical.

Aston Villa's Scott Sinclair in action as Watford's Juan Carlos Paredes looks on

Speaking at his pre-match press conference ahead of Sunday’s Championship opener at Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa manager Roberto Di Matteo has confirmed that the club have received a fresh bid from Celtic for Scott Sinclair.

Sinclair, 27, has played 45 times for Villa since arriving from Manchester City in January 2015 on an initial loan deal which later became permanent, netting nine goals in the process.

The former Chelsea winger made an impressive start to last season, following up a hat-trick display in a 5-3 League Cup victory over Notts County by bagging a brace four days later in a 2-2 draw with Sunderland, but he failed to score again over the rest of the campaign as the claret-and-blues went on to finish bottom of the Premier League with just 17 points.

He now looks set to leave the West Midlands side after just 18 months following the recent arrival of Scottish striker Ross McCormack from Fulham, and reports over recent weeks have continued to name Celtic as his most likely destination.

Emmerson Boyce - Wigan Athletic in action against Scott Sinclair - Swansea City

New Bhoys boss Brendan Rodgers previously signed Sinclair for Swansea City in 2010 after working with him at Chelsea and saw the ex-England Under-21 international score 36 goals in 91 games under his tutelage before a £6.2 million switch to the Etihad Stadium in 2012.

The Scottish champions are believed to have seen several bids rejected for him this summer, but fresh claims from the Daily Record suggest that the Villa man is set to undergo a medical at Parkhead after their latest approach was accepted.

Di Matteo stressed that talks are not that far along at this point, with Sinclair said to have trained fully on Friday, but he did openly admit that the club are currently weighing up a new offer.

“We have received an offer from Celtic,” Di Matteo said at his press conference. “We are considering this offer. Until there is something clearer to report we cannot say more. It’s a fresh bid.

“He’s been very professional in pre-season, he’s been committed. I have until tomorrow to make a decision on the squad for the weekend.”

Manchester City's Fernando in action with Aston Villa's Scott Sinclair

According to the Birmingham Mail, Celtic’s latest offer for Sinclair is thought be around £3.5 million, with Rodgers trying to get the pacey attacker on board by Monday so he will be eligible to play in the Champions League play-off matches against Israeli side Hapoel Be'er Sheva later this month.

Rodgers was keeping coy when asked specifically about a potential deal on Friday afternoon, but he did admit that there was “no smoke without fire”.

"I had him in at Chelsea when he was 16 years of age out of Bristol Rovers, I know him probably as well as anyone and I know his qualities," the ex-Liverpool boss told the likes of the BBC. "But there is a number of players that we are looking at and all of them we hope can improve the squad."

"The squad will be better and stronger by the time we arrive at the next European games. We'd like to get in at least one new player before the deadline."

Scott Sinclair celebrates after scoring the first goal for Aston Villa from the penalty spot

Register for ASTON VILLA team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch