Newcastle transfer round-up: More signings expected, Championship midfielder linked, Tiote closing on exit, and more

Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez during the press conference

A look at some of the transfer news surrounding the Magpies in the last few days.

Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez during the press conference

Former Hull City manager Phil Brown has told the Chronicle that Rafael Benitez has revealed to him that he still wants to bring in "four or five" more players in the remainder of the transfer window despite already spending over £30 million this summer.

The Magpies have already brought in six new players over the last two months, but look set for more business both in and out in the coming weeks.

They have been touted as the frontrunners by some bookmakers for the signing of unwanted Tottenham Hotspur midfielder Alex Pritchard.

Spurs boss Mauricio Pochettino has told the 23-year-old that he is not in his plans for the future at White Hart Lane, something which has reportedly alerted several clubs including the Magpies.

Alex Pritchard of England during training

However, one spanner in the works of any deal could be that Spurs want £9 million for the attacking midfielder, via the Independent, something which could deter Rafael Benitez from making a move.

Benitez's side are thought to be at the front of the queue for Wolverhampton Wanderers star Conor Coady, according to a report from talkSPORT.

Coady impressed during his first season at Molineux, making 35 appearances in all competitions, but looks set to leave this summer as the club's new owners look to undertake an overhaul.

The 23-year-old was at Liverpool as a youngster when Benitez was at the helm at Anfield, and he could be set for a reunion with the Spaniard, although the Magpies will have to battle QPR and Sheffield Wednesday for his signature.

Middlesbrough's Adam Forshaw and Wolves' Conor Coady

Meanwhile, Jack Colback has told the Chronicle that he is pleased to see the transfer business that Rafael Benitez has been conducting so far this summer.

The midfielder believes the Magpies have brought in "quality and experience" which will give the side more spirit ahead of their Championship campaign.

Colback also claimed that Georginio Wijnaldum would have wanted to stay at St. James' Park were it not for the lure of becoming a big-money addition to Jurgen Klopp's project at Liverpool.

Wijnaldum could be followed out of Tyneside by another midfielder in the coming days, with Sky Sports reporting that Cheick Tiote is in talks with Al Jazira.

The 30-year-old has made 153 appearances for the Magpies over the last six years, but did not travel with the squad for the friendly against Southend on Tuesday night.

Instead, he is in talks with the UAE clubs over a three-year deal which would reportedly see him earn £4 million each season as he seemingly closes in on an exit.

Crystal Palace's Yohan Cabaye in action with Newcastle's Cheick Tiote

Florian Thauvin also looks set to complete his exit, with La Gazzetta Dello Sport claiming that he is close to joining Serie A side Lazio on loan.

According to the Italian outlet, as quoted by talkSPORT, Newcastle would receive a £1.6 million loan fee with an obligation for the Rome club to make the deal permanent for £9 million in 12 months' time.

Finally, that link speculating that Barcelona are interested in a surprise swoop for Ayoze Perez has resurfaced, with the Daily Mail now reporting that the Catalan giants want the striker as back-up.

However, the report affirms that Perez is happy at St. James' Park and any move remains unlikely.

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch