Joe Bennett has told Aston Villa's official site that he is determined to break through at Villa Park this season, after becoming the forgotten man in recent times.
Bennett joined Villa in 2012, but he has not made a league appearance for the Midlands side in either of the last two seasons.
Bennett has been sent out on loan spells at Brighton & Hove Albion, Bournemouth and Sheffield Wednesday - with Villa seemingly deeming the left-back to be surplus to requirements.
However, the appointment of Roberto Di Matteo seems to have given Bennett a new lease of life.
The 26-year-old has been given a chance of pre-season, and he has taken it with both hands.
Bennett has been one of Villa’s star performers in their friendly matches, and there are now suggestions that he could have forced his way back into Di Matteo’s plans.
And Bennett said: “It’s a big season coming up for me. I certainly know that.
“I’ve been out on loan for the last few years and haven’t managed to really grasp that spot in the Villa team.
“I was obviously straight into the team when I joined but since then I haven’t really been able to nail down a place in the team.
“Now it’s a huge season and I am really determined to show the manager, my team-mates and the fans what I’ve got. It’s important to me that I do that.”
Bennett has previously impressed at Championship level, but he faces competition to break into Di Matteo’s starting line-up.
Villa also have Aly Cissokho and Jordan Amavi in their squad, who can play at left-back, and it remains to be seen which option Di Matteo will go with on the opening day of the season, when Villa take on Sheffield Wednesday.