Various national media reports had strongly linked Howe with the role, following Roy Hodgson’s resignation as manager last month. The Football Association interviewed Allardyce and the former Hull City manager Steve Bruce for the job and is thought to have at least considered both Howe and Jürgen Klinsmann for the post.
But Bournemouth received no approach for their manager, who has guided the club from League One to the Premier League under his watch since 2013.
“I was very proud to have even been linked with the role,” said Howe, speaking to the Bournemouth Daily Echo. “But from my perspective this summer was always about AFC Bournemouth and making sure we are as prepared as we can be for the tough season ahead.
“It was nice to have been linked with the role because it meant people have recognised the successful campaign of last season. That recognition is what the players here deserve. But it was all just pure press speculation and nothing ever changed my immediate focus. I think it is a good appointment for England and Sam will do a very good job. He has done very well wherever he has been.”
Howe, who was capped twice at England Under-21 level, signed a contract extension with Bournemouth until 2020 last October. The 38-year-old reiterated his commitment to Bournemouth in April, amid reports with the then Everton vacancy.
“I don’t think I have to reaffirm my commitment here every week, which seems to be a regular pattern,” he said. “I love it here and I’m committed to the job. You’ve got to win games to stay in work and I’m fully committed to this job here.”
Bournemouth continue their pre-season preparations at Portsmouth on Saturday afternoon, following the conclusion of their 10-day training camp in the United States. The Minnesota United goalkeeper, Sammy Ndjock, scored a bizarre own-goal to help Bournemouth on their way to a comfortable 4-0 win on Wednesday in their pre-season opener, in which the new signing Jordon Ibe made his debut.
guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010