Jonathan Kodjia of Bristol City
According to the Daily Mail, Aston Villa have failed with a £5m bid for Bristol City striker Jonathan Kodjia - but Robins manager Lee Johnson says the club haven't even received an offer.
Villa have added a goalkeeper, centre back and central midfielder so far this summer in Pierluigi Gollini, Tommy Elphick and Aaron Tshibola, but new manager Roberto Di Matteo will still be keen to add a new striker to his ranks this summer.
Whilst Rudy Gestede has impressed in the Championship before, question marks remain over the futures of players like Jordan Ayew, Gabriel Agbonlahor and Libor Kozak, meaning Di Matteo should invest heavily in a new goalscorer ahead of the start of the season.
The Daily Mail today reported that Villa have submitted a bid of £5m for Bristol City hitman Jonathan Kodjia - but the Robins had snubbed the offer immediately.
Kodjia, 26, joined Bristol City from French side Angers last summer, and whilst he was an unknown at the time, Championship defenders certainly know who he is now.
With 19 league goals and another strike in the FA Cup last season, Kodjia finished his first campaign in England with 20 goals, starring with his combination of pace and power in the Robins attack.
The reports will have concerned Bristol City fans, but they have been somewhat eased by manager Lee Johnson this evening, as he told the club's official Twitter account that there has been no offer for Kodjia - and the club wouldn't welcome any interest either.
LJ: "There has been no bid for Jonathan Kodjia. And nor would we welcome one."— Bristol City FC (@bcfctweets) July 20, 2016
With conflicting messages coming out, it's unclear whether Villa really are pursuing a big-money swoop for Kodjia - but Di Matteo does still need to find a striker this summer.