Report names five players at risk as Di Matteo seeks Aston Villa cull

New manager Roberto Di Matteo poses after the press conference

The Villa boss' squad currently exceeds 30 names.

New manager Roberto Di Matteo poses after the press conferenceNew Villa boss Di Matteo

Five players' futures are said to be at risk as Roberto Di Matteo looks to trim his Aston Villa squad this summer, the Sun reports (Tuesday edition, page 47).

Di Matteo has added three new faces so far, with goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini following defender Tommy Elphick and midfielder Aaron Tshibola to Villa Park last week.

But with only Charles N'Zogbia, Kieran Richardson, Jose Crespo and Callum Robinson moved on, the Italian finds himself with a squad of over 30 senior players.

Aston Villa's Charles N'Zogbia (R) in action with Newcastle's Jack ColbackN'Zogbia is one of few players to depart Villa Park so far

On Monday, Di Matteo told the club's official website that he will look to move a couple of players on in the coming weeks, with further additions still required - pressingly up front.

And according to the Sun, goalkeeper Brad Guzan, defenders Micah Richards and Joleon Lescott, winger Leandro Bacuna and striker Gabriel Agbonlahor each face uncertain Villa Park futures.

Aston Villa's Micah Richards looks dejectedRichards could be moved on a year into his Villa Park career

As quoted by the Express & Star on Tuesday, Di Matteo said he hopes to have the bulk of his squad in place by the first week of August.

"Ideally I’m looking to go into the week leading up to the first game (at Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday 7 August) with roughly the group I would like to be working with for the season," he said.

Di Matteo hasn't managed in the second tier since 2009-10, when he led West Bromwich Albion to promotion as runners-up.

West Brom manager Roberto Di Matteo

Register for ASTON VILLA team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch