Michael Duberry helped me overcome Stoke rejection, says Keogh

Republic of Ireland's Richard Keogh before the match

Keogh was released by the Potters in 2005 after failing to make a single first-team appearance.

Republic of Ireland's Shane Long and Richard Keogh at the end of the matchRepublic of Ireland's Shane Long and Richard Keogh at the end of the match

Speaking to The Guardian, Derby County's Richard Keogh has credited Michael Duberry's message of support as the reason he overcame the rejection of being released by Stoke City earlier in his career. 

Keogh was released by the Potters in 2005 without making a single first team appearance, despite intially being a highly rated talent at club, even wining the team's Young Player of the Year Award for the 2002-03 season. 

The 29-year-old has never experienced the demands of Premier League football, having spent much of his career in League One, but he is now preparing to make a positive contribution to the Republic of Ireland's Euro 2016 campaign, which begins with Sweden in Paris on Monday.

It marks something of an impressive rise for Keogh, who was handed his international debut by Giovanni Trapattoni in February 2013 and has been a regular fixture in Martin O'Neill's side. 

Derby's Richard Keogh celebrates after the matchKeogh is now at Derby County

And Keogh has cited one particular goodwill message from former Chelsea centre-back Duberry shortly after his departure from Stoke, as a key driver in his career.

He told The Guardian: “‘Dubes’ texted me and he told me to remember that one man’s trash is another man’s art, and it has always stuck with me

"You might not be for this manager but, somewhere along the line, there will be somebody who appreciates what you do.”

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch