The Newcastle United manager signed a new three-year deal to stay on at St. James' Park on Wednesday.
Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez has revealed to reporters, as quoted by the Chronicle, that he has been told by the club's board upon signing a new deal that he will not have to sell any player in the summer transfer window if he does not want to.
Benitez's future had been widely debated in recent weeks, but the Spanish boss confirmed his intent to stay with the club despite their relegation by agreeing a new three-year deal at St. James' Park.
The news will come as a huge boost to Magpies fans after the former Liverpool and Real Madrid manager oversaw a dramatic upturn in performances and results in the final weeks of the season.
The 56-year-old coach revealed to reporters in his press conference after signing the deal that he has been offered a guarantee by Mike Ashley and Lee Charnley that he will not be forced into selling a single member of his squad that he is not happy to allow to leave.
Benitez said, as quoted by the Chronicle: "What I have is a conviction that if I don’t want to sell any player I don’t need to. We can keep who we want."
That will come as a huge and exciting boost for Newcastle fans, who were fearing for the club's future with Benitez's future in doubt.
Though stars such as Vurnon Anita had already committed themselves to helping the club fight for promotion in the Championship next season, others including Andros Townsend have been less reassuring amidst speculation of interest from other clubs.
However, a report earlier this week suggested that Benitez would deny his leading stars a move away if he stayed on as manager, and according to the coach himself he has now been given approval to refuse to sanction exits if he wishes to keep hold of players.