The Houston Dynamo boss has been mentioned alongside the likes of David Moyes and Brendan Rodgers as a potential candidate to take over at Parkhead.
Coyle, 49, has been repeatedly touted as a potential candidate to succeed Ronny Deila as Celtic boss since the Norwegian announced last month that he would be leaving Parkhead at the end of the season, while rumours surfaced late last week that Houston had granted the Scottish champions permission to hold talks with him [h/t MLSSoccer.com].
However, the Paisley-born former striker, who turned down the Hoops job in 2009 to stay with Burnley, insists that he and club president Chris Canetti have heard nothing from across the pond.
"It is a story that somebody has made up," Coyle told the Houston Chronicle. "The two of us were totally dumbfounded because we didn't know anything about it. That's an itch in the world today with social media. It's fair to say we know nothing about it."
Coyle, who grew up supporting Celtic, signed a three-year deal to take over the Dynamo in December 2014 but has since been enduring a testing time in the States.
The MLS club finished his first season in charge in eighth place in the Western Conference – nine points off a playoff spot – and currently sit bottom of the standings with only 11 points from as many games, having recorded just three wins, two draws and suffered six defeats.
The latest reports, meanwhile, suggest that Brendan Rodgers is now the favourite to become the new Celtic manager and has even received a formal job offer from the Glasgow outfit after holding positive talks with club representatives earlier this week [h/t Daily Mail].
Majority shareholder Dermot Desmond told Sky Sports News HQ on Wednesday that the club expects to name Deila's successor within a week and also called Rodgers a "great manager".