Ayoze Perez intends to stay at Newcastle, despite their relegation.
Newcastle United forward Ayoze Perez has told The Chronicle that he will stay at St. James' Park despite the club's relegation to the Championship.
The Magpies dropped to the second tier when Sunderland beat Everton 3-0 last Wednesday, meaning Sunday's game against Tottenham meant nothing - but Newcastle put on a show for their fans.
A 5-1 win over third place Spurs was beyond anybody's expectations, and the St. James' Park crowd went home happy, even though their side will start next season in the Championship.
Fans ended the season chanting, pleading for manager Rafael Benitez to stay at the club, and whilst speculation still surrounds his future, there are questions about many players too.
Big-name players like Jonjo Shelvey, Georginio Wijnaldum, Moussa Sissoko and Aleksandar Mitrovic are bound to attract interest, and if they are offered an immediate Premier League return, they could leave rather than play in the second tier.
Now though, forward Ayoze Perez has told The Chronicle that he actually intends to stay at St. James' Park, and wants to stay with the city as they bid to recover from relegation.
It's stated that both Manchester United and Tottenham have been interested in signing Perez over the last year, but Perez wants to fight for Newcastle and win promotion, because the Magpies need everybody to be together - and he'll snub interest to stay despite their relegation.
"Yes of course. I am with the team, I am with this city and I am with everybody," said Perez. "I want to be here to fight for the team and to come back. We need everybody to be together and be like a team," he added.
Do you think Perez will stay at Newcastle?