Rafael Benitez claims positive Newcastle talks, responds when asked about Everton job

Rafa Benitez 02

Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez has been discussing his future today.

Newcastle United manager Rafael Benitez has told The Chronicle that he has held positive talks about staying at St. James' Park.

The Magpies' relegation to the Championship was confirmed on Wednesday evening, as Sunderland's 3-0 hammering of Everton meant that Newcastle couldn't catch their fierce local rivals.

Now preparing for life in the second tier, Newcastle may need a new manager, as questions surround the future of current boss Rafael Benitez are rife.

The Spaniard, who left Real Madrid in January, was lured to Newcastle in March following the departure of Steve McClaren, but he couldn't keep the club in the Premier League, with many believing that he wasn't given enough time to save the Magpies.

Now, Benitez could leave Tyneside due to a break clause in his contract upon relegation, and ahead of Sunday's final game of the season against Tottenham, talks are seemingly underway.

Speaking to The Chronicle, Benitez admitted that he has spoken to managing director Lee Charnley about his future, and claims the meetings so far have been 'quite positive', but a concrete decision could take up to a couple of weeks.

"We have a good relationship," said Benitez. "He is professional and so am I. We first have analysed what went wrong. But the meetings were quite positive. We will continue. If I decide to come here it’s because it’s a massive club and we have the fans. I am flattered with them."

"There will be more meetings. We have to talk and we have more meetings then we will see what happens. If I’m here and discussing it, it’s because there is a chance, we have to keep talking. We need a structure to allow the club to compete. I am happy to discuss all of these things. I am pleased with the first conversation. It could take a couple of weeks, maximum," he added.

Additionally, Benitez was asked about possibly heading to Everton, having been mentioned for the jo since his compatriot Roberto Martinez was sacked on Thursday - but Benitez gave a blunt response when asked about a move to Goodison Park, simply saying: "I haven’t talked with anyone."

Do you think Benitez will stay at Newcastle?

Register for EVERTON team updates

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch