Some of the UK’s most prestigious institutions have slipped in a ranking of the world’s top 100 universities by reputation.
The latest Times Higher Education rankings have shown that Cambridge and Oxford have been pushed into fourth and fifth place by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Stanford University, which came second and third on the list respectively.
Harvard University topped the list for the sixth year in a row as US universities claimed 43 places in the top 100.
The UK, on the other hand, saw 10 universities in the top 100, down from 12 last year. However, the UK remained the second most-represented country in the list.
Phil Baty, Times Higher Education rankings editor, blamed higher education cuts for the drop in performance.
"Perhaps the UK’s continued cuts in higher education funding - Higher Education Funding Council for England received a £150m budget slash this year – and series of immigration measures affecting overseas students and scholars, are starting to have an impact on its global reputation.
"The UK will have to ensure that it can still draw in talent and investment from across the world and it does not lose its position at the heart of higher education’s global elite,” Baty added.
Here are the world’s top 10 universities by reputation:
1. Harvard University, United States
2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology, United States
3. Stanford University, United States
4. University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
5. University of Oxford, United Kingdom
6. University of California, Berkeley, United States
7. Princeton University, United States
8. Yale University, United States
9. Columbia University, United States
10. California Institute of Technology, United States
Here are the UK’s top 10 universities by reputation (rank on global scale in brackets):
1. University of Cambridge (4)
2. University of Oxford (5)
3. Imperial College London (15)
4. University College London (20)
5. London School of Economics and Political Science (24)
6. University of Edinburgh (38)
7. King’s College London (43)
8. University of Manchester (49)
9. London Business School (81-90)
10. University of Warwick (81-90)