Ex-Reds striker admits he missed Liverpool's comeback because he turned off when they were 3-1 down

Emile Heskey missed his former side's incredible victory over Borussia Dortmund on Thursday night after turning off when Marco Reus scored.

Former Liverpool striker Emile Heskey has admitted, as seen in the video above, that he missed his old's side stunning comeback against Borussia Dortmund as he turned his TV off after Marco Reus scored, thinking the tie was over.

Jurgen Klopp's side went 2-0 down and then 3-1 down on the night at Anfield in the Europa League quarter-final second leg before scoring three goals in the final 24 minutes to seal one of the greatest nights in the club's recent history.

Reus goal to make it 3-1 on the night just 10 minutes after Divock Origi's strike had given the hosts hope left Klopp's men needing three goals, and they came up with the goods in remarkable fashion to progress to a first European final in eight years.

Heskey hailed the club's incredible turnaround but made the sheepish admission that he missed out on celebrating the triumph as he had given up hope after an hour of the match.

The 38-year-old, who won the previous incarnation of the tournament, the UEFA Cup, with the Merseyside club in 2001, revealed: "I actually didn't watch after 3-1, I thought 'I can't watch this anymore!'

"Then I saw the score at the end and was like 'Wow, I missed an amazing game! It was a wonderful comeback, when you're 1-0 down after four, five minutes it's not going to be easy but mentally it does something to you as well. But to be able to change that around and come back from 3-1 down is amazing.

"Listening to the players and what they've said about the manager, about creating history, it puts a certain mindset on you and gets you going. He [Klopp] has managed to tap into the players that way and it seems to be working."

The victory set up a last-four clash with Spanish side Villarreal as Klopp looks to lead the club to their first European triumph since another remarkable comeback in the 2005 Champions League final in Istanbul.

Glory in the competition would be a tremendous end to an encouraging first season under the German since he took over from Brendan Rodgers in October, particularly after the heartbreak of losing the Capital One Cup final to Manchester City on penalties earlier this year.

It would also see Liverpool qualify to play in the Champions League next season, something which seems virtually impossible for the club to achieve through the Premier League with the Reds sitting nine points off Manchester City in fourth with seven matches remaining.

Register for LIVERPOOL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch