Steven Gerrard set to make LA Galaxy comeback after calf injury

Steven Gerrard In 2014

The Galaxy's former Liverpool captain is expected to feature in Friday's match at the Houston Dynamo after sitting out the last two games.

LA Galaxy midfielder Steven Gerrard could make his comeback from injury in Friday night’s clash with the Houston Dynamo, head coach Bruce Arena has told the club’s official website.

Gerrard, 35, has missed LA’s last two games after picking up a calf problem just four minutes into their 1-0 home over bitter rivals San Jose Earthquakes almost four weeks ago.

However, the former Liverpool and England captain returned to training last week, and having since made it through several full sessions unscathed, he is expected to be available for the match at Houston.

Speaking earlier this week, Arena told LAGalaxy.com: "We expect Stevie to be available. We'll get him through training over the next couple days.

We haven't thought about our travel squad yet. We'll do that after training tomorrow."

One player who will definitely not be featuring against the Dynamo, though, is Nigel de Jong after Arena confirmed that the Dutchman is set to be suspended for his tackle on Darlington Nagbe during last weekend’s 1-1 draw with the Portland Timbers.

De Jong has received widespread criticism from MLS circles since forcing Nagbe off during the latter stages of the game at StubHub Center with a strong challenge which left the US international with a sprained ankle.

The 31-year-old midfielder only received a yellow card for the tackle, but the MLS Disciplinary Committee is reportedly set to hand him a three-game suspension ahead of the Houston game.

Arena confirmed on Wednesday that De Jong will definitely miss Friday’s match, but he also stressed that he felt the coverage of the incident had been overblown because of the tough-tackling veteran’s reputation.

“I think it’s hysteria. I think obviously Nigel has to understand this; he has a reputation that precedes him,” Arena told LAGalaxy.com. “If that was any other player in that tackle, it would not have received the hysteria that it has. I think the press and others have failed miserably in reporting the incident and what actually happened.

“Hysteria is the fault of social media. It’s the fault of people in MLS and in the offices that do that and feeds the whole thing. And the journalism,” he continued. “No one’s actually interviewed the player, anything like that. It’s been blown out of proportion but rightfully so because of how everyone wanted to make this player into a villain.

“And obviously, with the incidents he’s had previously it invites that. We understand that.”

Register for LIVERPOOL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch