David Ginola said on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show on talkSPORT on Tuesday morning (broadcast from 6am, April 5) that Chelsea could re-sign Romelu Lukaku from Everton in the summer transfer window.
Lukaku joined the London outfit from Belgian giants Anderlecht in the summer of 2011, but he struggled to make an impact at Stamford Bridge and was sold to Everton in 2013.
The 22-year-old striker has flourished at Goodison Park and has been linked with a move back to Chelsea in the summer transfer window.
According to The London Evening Standard, new Chelsea manager Antonio Conte wants to sign the Belgium international.
Former Everton attacker Ginola has suggested that Lukaku could be playing for Chelsea next season.
“Well, it could be, it could be,” said the former Newcastle United and Tottenham Hotspur attacker on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show on talkSPORT on Tuesday morning (broadcast from 6am, April 5) when asked if Lukaku to Chelsea could happen.
“Lukaku is on the list of players that could interest Chelsea. The fact that you have a new manager appointed, Antonio Conte will decide probably what the future of Chelsea will be in terms of which players are going to be brought to the club.”
“I think he is going to leave,” added Ginola. “He needs a different challenge.”
Lukaku is one of the best and most promising young strikers in the Premier League and has been in good form so far this season.
The 22-year-old has scored 18 goals and created 47 chances in 30 league matches for Everton this campaign.
The former Chelsea striker has a pass accuracy of 74% and a shot accuracy of 53%, and has won 70 headers, 33 dribbles and six tackles.