Sky Sports pundit offers Roberto Martinez advice for Everton's summer transfer window

Everton Goodison 2

Everton are expected to spend big in the summer transfer window following the investment of Farhad Moshiri.

Charlie Nicholas has told Sky Sports Soccer Saturday, which was broadcast on 19th March, that Everton do not need to splash the cash this summer, even though they have money to spend.

Following the investment of Farhad Moshiri, the Toffees are expected to spend big to improve their squad in the upcoming transfer window.

However, Nicholas says that Everton should show restraint, and still seek out bargain buys in the summer.

“You don’t always need to spend £20, £30 million, we’ve seen that with Kante at Leicester,” Nicholas said. “You have to find what is out there to fit into your framework.

“Everton have done that with John Stones, he was a bargain buy. This team can get stronger, but Martinez has to identify players of high quality to fit in.”

Everton have previously been criticised for showing a lack of ambition in transfer windows, but they now have the financial strength to compete with any team in England.

Moshiri is expected to provide Roberto Martinez was masses of funds to spend, but keeping hold of his current squad may be more important.

Everton already have a squad which is littered with quality, but they could face a fight to keep hold of their key players.

Romelu Lukaku has already been linked with Real Madrid (The Sun), while John Stones has been tipped with a range of clubs since last summer.

Everton are not under any pressure to sell their prized assets, but if they are not able to offer European football to their squad next season, it could be an uphill struggle to keep them at Goodison Park.

Register for EVERTON team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch