Paul Dickov has said on Sky Sports News, broadcast on March 11 at 10am, that Newcastle United manager Steve McClaren has been unfairly treated at St James' Park.
Last weekend, Newcastle slumped to a 3-1 setback at home to Bournemouth, while McClaren came in for criticism in the stands for the manner of the defeat and his choice of substitutions.
It left the former England boss on the brink of the sack and throughout the week, speculation has intensified regarding his position and who might replace him, with Rafael Benitez heavily touted as the man to step into the dugout.
On Friday, Newcastle finally ended days of rumours by announcing that McClaren had left the club after just 32 games in charge, but before his sacking, Dickov was highly critical of how the 54-year-old had been treated.
Dickov said: "He's a human being. It you look at the way that it has been handled, it is ridiculous.
"After the Bournemouth game, I think everyone knew that his job was on the line, and for a club like Newcastle, or any club, it takes 30 seconds to put a statement out.
"The fact that they have let it drag on this long, and with the game that they have on Monday night, it's not fair and it's not right."
No update has been provided on his successor, but it is being reported that Benitez would want full control of transfers if he were to accept any role in the North-East.
The move would prove appealing to the Spaniard with his family still being based in England after his spell with Liverpool.