Newcastle hero Mick Quinn says Rafael Benitez would be his choice to become the next Magpies boss.
Former Newcastle United striker Mick Quinn has told The Chronicle that he thinks Rafael Benitez is an 'exciting coach' ahead of his potential move to Tyneside.
The Magpies lost 3-1 at home to Bournemouth on Saturday afternoon, putting manager Steve McClaren's position in serious danger, with Newcastle sitting 19th in the Premier League table, just one point adrift of safety.
The Guardian reported on Wednesday that McClaren is on the verge of being sacked by the Magpies, with a replacement potentially on the way already.
It's stated that Rafael Benitez is close to becoming the new boss on a three-year contract, with the Spaniard making a return to the Premier League, having previously managed Liverpool and Chelsea.
The 55-year-old, who won the Champions League during his time at Liverpool, has been a free agent since leaving Real Madrid in January, and is now seen as the man to not only drag Newcastle away from relegation trouble, but take them to the next level in the future.
With announcements expected ahead of Monday's trip to face Leicester, former Newcastle United striker Mick Quinn has told The Chronicle that Benitez would be his top choice to replace McClaren.
Quinn believes that Benitez would be an 'exciting coach' to appoint, and has the utmost respect for the Spaniard - but thinks manager McClaren deserves more respect as the confusion over his future continues.
"Certainly Rafa would be my choice to take over because he is an exciting coach who I have the utmost respect for and it is an exciting potential appointment, but McClaren should not have been treated like this," said Quinn. "It is dragging the club’s name through the mud," he added.
Would you be excited to see Benitez replace McClaren?