Gallery: Previous meetings between Liverpool and Manchester City ahead of League Cup final

A recap of the side's past five meetings, as well as the last time they faced each other in the League Cup.

The first trophy of the season is on the line on Sunday. Jurgen Klopp will be hoping to lead Liverpool to their first trophy under his reign after just over months since his appointment, while Manuel Pellegrini is keen to add as much silverware as possible to his CV before he departs Manchester City at the end of the season. 

Meetings between the two sides have always been competitive affairs, especially in recent years, and pretty entertaining games to watch.

We begin with the last League Cup meeting between the two sides, over two legs in the semi-final in 2012:

Manchester City 0-1 Liverpool - 11th January 2012 - Etihad Stadium

After a lively opening spell from the visitors they ultimately made things count. Joe Hart had been forced into a series of fine saves but Steven Gerrard gave Liverpool the lead from the penalty spot after a reckless challenge from Stefan Savic on Daniel Agger.

Liverpool managed to get themselves to half time with their noses in front and were determined to take a lead back to Anfield and put men behind the ball. There was a flashpoint towards the end of the game, however, when a two-footed lunge from Glen Johnson on Joleon Lescott went unpunished. Referee Lee Mason didn't think it was a foul. 

Liverpool 2-2 Manchester City - 25th January 2012, Anfield

Like in the first leg, Liverpool started the game on the front foot and Joe Hart was forced into some fine saves but it was City who took the lead through a brilliant strike from Nigel De Jong - who somehow managed to curl the ball into the top corner beyond Pepe Reina while slipping.

Liverpool levelled the tie up on the night after Daniel Agger's strike hit Micah Richards on the arm, though replays suggested it bounced up from his knee first. Steven Gerrard dispatched the penalty that was awarded.

Hart pulled off another couple of fine saves at the start of the second half before Edin Dzeko got on the end of a wonderful cross from Aleksandar Kolorov to restore City's lead on the night, shortly before Craig Bellamy got the decisive goal after a neat one-two with Glen Johnson 

Last five Premier League meetings:


Manchester City 1-4 Liverpool - 21st November 2015, Etihad Stadium

Liverpool simply stunned the Etihad Stadium during their first half display as they raced into a three-goal lead. Eliaquim Mangala diverted Roberto Firmino's cross home to open the scoring in the early stages before Philippe Coutinho got onto the end of a Firmino cross to double Liverpool's lead. The third came about as Emre Can's backheel opened up the City defence to allow Coutinho to square to Firmino take make it 3-0.


Sergio Aguero pulled one back on the stroke of half time to bring some hope for the home side, who capitalised on some sloppy play in the Liverpool defence, and were denied on a couple of occasions in the early stages of the second half. Joe Hart pulled off a couple of fine saves to keep City in the game before Martin Skrtel's volley 10 minutes from the end rounded off the scoring. 


Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City - 1st March 2015, Anfield

City were going for back-to-back titles but were a little behind Chelsea in the race, while Liverpool were hoping to generate some momentum in a charge for the top four only three days after being dumped out of the Europa League.

Jordan Henderson opened the scoring for the Reds with a strike from 25-yards which cannoned in off the underside of the crossbar. Sergio Aguero managed to play a delightful through ball to Edin Dzeko who levelled things up midway through the first half before Aguero hit the post.


After the interval, the Argentine headed over from close range when he ought to have hit the target, but the last word of the day went to Philippe Coutinho, whose spectacular effort 15 minutes from time gave Liverpool a morale boosting win, and dented City's hopes of retaining their crown. 


Manchester City 3-1 Liverpool - 25th August 2014, Etihad Stadium

It was only the second game of the season but an opportunity for one of the previous season's top two to lay down an early marker.


After tight first half, where both sides had their moments, Stevan Jovetic took advantage of some slack defending to give the hosts the lead. He would double the lead shortly after half-time as he started and finished a flowing move. Sergio Aguero came off the bench to score with his first touches to make it 3-0 as he ran onto a pass from Jesus Navas.


Liverpool ended up getting on the scoresheet as Rickie Lambert's header from a Daniel Sturridge cross, which was saved by Joe Hart only to rebound off Pablo Zabaleta into his own net. 


Liverpool 3-2 Manchester City - 13th April 2014, Anfield

Billed as a potential title decider, and though the victor from this game would put themselves in pole position to win the league, it was their opponents that ended up having the last laugh.


Liverpool began the game strongly and Raheem Sterling scampered onto a through-ball from Luis Suarez, and managed to dummy both Joe Hart and Vincent Kompany as he cooly gave Liverpool the lead. The home side's advantage was doubled when Martin Skrtel headed home from the near post from Steven Gerrard's corner - shortly after Gerrard's own headed effort was denied by Hart.


Manuel Pellegrini introduced James Milner into the action at half time for the visitors and his impact was immediate as he set up David Silva to get them back into the game. They would draw level with Silva causing problems again as his effort deflected off Glen Johnson into his own net.


There was time for Liverpool to win it when Philippe Coutinho capitalised on miskick from Vincent Kompany to put the home side ahead. It wasn't the end of the drama as Jordan Henderson's lunge on Samir Nasri saw Liverpool reduced to 10 men in stoppage time, and out of three of his side's four remaining games.


Manchester City 2-1 Liverpool - 26th December 2013, Etihad Stadium

A breathtaking game of football which had goals, errors, manager's moaning and would ultimately prove crucial come the end of the season.


A lot of the talk after the game from Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers was about referee Lee Mason after seeing his side have a goal disallowed in the early stages as he was left frustrated by his side's defeat.


All goals came in the first half with Philippe Coutinho opened the scoring after Raheem Sterling squared the ball to the Brazilian following a flick by Luis Suarez. Their lead would be shortlived as Vincent Kompany headed home from a corner.


With the side's seemingly heading into the break level, Alvaro Negredo faced Simon Mignolet one-on-one. His decision to try and chip the keeper appeared baffling, until Mignolet took the bizarre decision to try and punch the ball away. Instead it trickled over the line to give City a first half lead that would last throughout the second.  

Register for MANCHESTER CITY team updates

Register for LIVERPOOL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch