West Ham striker issues fighting call ahead of potential first start

West Ham

Emmanuel Emenike says he is determined to take his chance in the limelight.

West Ham United striker Emmanuel Emenike has issued a warning call to his fellow strikers by insisting to the club's official website that he is determined to take any opportunity he is given this weekend.

Injuries to fellow forwards Andy Carroll, Enner Valencia and Diafra Sakho mean that the on-loan Fenerbahce striker could be in line for his first start for the Hammers since joining the club last month in the FA Cup tie with Blackburn Rovers.

The 28-year-old said that he is enjoying life at the club despite his lack of first-team chances so far, and insisted that he is up for the fight for a regular starting place.

Emenike told the club's website: "I am really looking to the Blackburn game this weekend; it is a very important match for the team but also personally because I have the opportunity to show what I can do.

"If I score, I don’t know what I’d do to celebrate because I would be so excited, I would be so happy.

"Training is going very well, so everything is good. I have only been here a short time but [the fans] have really welcomed me and made me feel at home."

So far, the Nigerian has just two substitute appearances for Slaven Bilic's side to his name, but he will be hoping to continue his recent good scoring form into English football if given the chance at a full 90 minutes.

The striker scored nine goals in just 15 matches for United Arab Emirates side Al Ain earlier this season before being recalled just two weeks before joining West Ham.

The Irons have the opportunity to reach the quarter-final of the FA Cup stage for just the second time in a decade when they face Championship side Rovers at Ewood Park on Sunday.


Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch