Eddie Howe says this Bournemouth striker could have England future

Three Lions close

The Cherries boss has urged Benik Afobe not to turn his back on a possible international future with the Three Lions.

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe has urged Benik Afobe not to give up on an international future with England, suggesting that the striker could well get his chance in the upcoming years, as reported by Reuters.

The former Arsenal striker said earlier this week that he could chose to represent the Democratic Republic of Congo, whom he qualifies to play for through his parentage, at senior level with no imminent sign of an England call-up.

However, the 23-year-old's club manager Howe insists that the ex-Wolverhampton Wanderers man should not give up on representing the Three Lions, having played for them at numerous youth levels including Under-21.

Howe told reporters, as quoted by Reuters: "If I were Benik, I would hold on for an England call up.

"He's progressing well and I think he should hold on for that."

Afobe has impressed since signing for Bournemouth in a deal worth a reported club record of £10 million last month.

The forward has scored three goals in his first six appearances for the Cherries after leaving Wolves, for whom he racked up 23 strikers in 48 matches at Championship level.

Afobe's goals contributed directly to a upturn in form for Howe's side over the last few weeks, with the South coast club's revent three-match unbeaten run helping to lift them to four points clear of the Premier League bottom three.

The Cherries host Everton in an FA Cup fifth-round tie at the Vitality Stadium on Saturday.

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch