Loeffler says Canelo, Khan winner will face Golovkin

Gennady Golovkin

Promoter Tom Loeffler says that there is a written agreement in place for the winner of Saul Alvarez and Amir Khan to meet Gennady Golovkin later in 2016.

 

Promoter Tom Loeffler has told Fighthype that a written agreement is in place for Gennady Golovkin to compete for the WBC middleweight belt later this year.

 

Late last year, the WBC mandated a bout between their title holder Saul Alvarez and Golovkin before the two camps agreed to face other opponents before a showdown in September.

 

After Alvarez announced that he would meet Amir Khan in Las Vegas on May 7, doubts emerged whether Golovkin would face a further wait to try to further unify the 160lbs division after being stifled in his attempts to arrange a bout with WBO champion Billy Joe Saunders.

 

However, K2 representative Loeffler has insisted that the hard-hitting Kazakh is still in line to add another belt to his collection, regardless of who emerges victorious between Canelo and Khan.

 

Loeffler said: "It's not a verbal. Everything is in writing, signed by our side, by the Golden Boy side and the WBC. We have a good relationship with Golden Boy and a lot of respect for Canelo. It was part of allowing the voluntary defence they requested.

 

"Everything is mandated. The winner of Canelo v Khan has 15 days to commit to fighting Gennady or not. If they commit then we'll start negotiating to put that fight together.

"It's so hard to get an opponent in the ring with Gennady. If I stopped working with certain people, it'd be even less."

While Alvarez has chosen a high-profile showdown with Khan, Golovkin has opted to face his IBF mandatory challenger Dominic Wade on April 23.

The 33-year-old will be looking to record his 22nd stoppage victory in a row when he takes on the American.