Newcastle United, Chelsea and Stoke City were reportedly interested in the West Bromwich Albion striker in January.
Former Norwich City and Aston Villa striker Chris Sutton suggested on BBC Radio 5 live Sport last Friday evening (February 5) that West Bromwich Albion did not sell Saido Berahino in the January transfer window due to fears over relegation from the Premier League.
Sutton said that West Brom did not part company with the 22-year-old striker in case they get dragged into the relegation fight.
“West Brom could still get dragged into this (relegation fight),” said the former Celtic star. “You always get one (team) who is dragged in.
"Maybe West Brom are saying: ‘We are going to hold onto him because he might be the difference in keeping us up'."
According to a report on Skysports.com last month, Tottenham Hotspur, Newcastle United, Chelsea and Stoke City were interested in signing Berahino in the January transfer window.
West Brom, though, retained the services of the young striker, who will hope to get regular playing time for the Baggies between now and the end of the season.
The former England Under-21 international has scored three goals and created four chances in 20 Premier League appearances for Tony Pulis’s side so far this campaign.
Berahino has a pass accuracy of 80% and a shot accuracy of 54%, and has won three headers, nine dribbles and five tackles.
West Brom, who lost to Newcastle at the weekend, are 14th in the Premier League table at the moment with 29 points from 25 matches, just six points above the relegation zone.