Remi Garde laments Aston Villa's failure to sign Seydou Doumbia

Carlo Ancelotti with Remi Garde

The 28-year-old Ivorian striker has joined Newcastle United on loan from Roma after previously holding talks with Villa.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, Aston Villa manager Remi Garde has expressed his frustration at missing out on a deadline day deal for out-of-favour Roma striker Seydou Doumbia to Newcastle United.

Garde recently held lengthy talks with the 28-year-old Ivory Coast international about a move to the Midlands, with Italian outlet Calcio Mercato reporting that the deal would see him join Villa on a season-long loan with a view to a £6.8 million permanent switch if the club avoid the drop.

However, the forward, who had been on loan at CSKA Moscow over the first half of the campaign, instead opted to join relegation rivals Newcastle, leaving Garde both disappointed and irritated at seeing another potential recruit slip through his grasp.

Asked about his pursuit of Doumbia at his pre-match press conference ahead of tomorrow’s trip to West Ham United, the Frenchman told the likes of the Daily Mail: “I spoke a long time with the player, spent a lot of energy to convince him but he chose another club. That’s life.

“The situation of a team at the bottom of the table was not easy for players but it was not the only reason.

“‘It was also a financial problem, yes. But it is not my job to explain that to you again. Probably the club realised mistakes has been made in the past, probably they didn’t want to do it again.”

Garde is yet to make his first acquisition as Villa manager as Monday’s 11pm transfer deadline approaches and it is starting to look like he will have to wait until the summer before doing so.

He was seemingly on the verge of signing highly-rated Hajduk Split goalkeeper Lovre Kalinic two weeks ago for a reported £4.9 million fee but saw the move collapse at the final hurdle after the two-time capped Croatia international’s work permit application and subsequent appeal were both rejected.

Villa reportedly lodged a second appeal to the Football Association on Thursday but were met with another rejection [h/t Telegraph], leaving them with little time to find an alternative target at this stage of the transfer window.

“I’m not happy about this situation,” Garde told the Daily Mail on his first transfer window in charge. “I am not stupid saying we need nobody. As a new manager I would have expected new faces to support my change. Not only for me but the club, team, squad to be strengthen very good decision. We missed these two targets [Doumbia and Kalinic]. It’s unfortunate.

“It took me a few weeks to have an assessment and I made a recommendation to the board to try to sign players to the team, we need that,” he added. “Some games we are close to compete, then we need a little bit of quality. I cannot do more. I tried to sign them, I worked on very hard, but for different reasons we couldn’t.”

Register for ASTON VILLA team updates

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch