Head coach Greg Vanney confirmed that striker Luke Moore is currently back in England after being given permission to train with an unnamed team while he assesses his options.
The 29-year-old, who was previously training with boyhood club Aston Villa until recently, has a guaranteed contract for the 2016 season, but his manger hinted that he might not be back amid reported interest from Championship and even Premier League clubs.
Asked by reporters about Moore’s absence [h/t torontofc.ca], Vanney said: “Luke is not here. Luke is still in England. We gave him permission to train with a side there, but he’s got a guaranteed contract.
“We’ll get him back before preseason starts if all stays the same. For us, we’re going to have to figure out our roster situation, and for Luke, it’s also an opportunity to see where he may fit in.
“But if he comes back to us, we have plans for him as well, so we’ll so how this plays out over the next few weeks.”
Sheffield Wednesday, Leeds United, Reading, Bournemouth and former club Swansea City were all considering a move for the well-travelled forward at the time, but some of those sides have since gone elsewhere to address their striker issues.
Regardless, TFC would likely prefer to offload Moore given his hefty salary [£165,361.21 in guaranteed compensation last season] and lack of production since arriving at BMO Field in a trade with the now-defunct Chivas USA in 2014.
The former England Under-21 international made just six starts in 15 MLS appearances last term, scoring once, and the Canadian club are said to be over the cap limit heading into the 2016 campaign, leaving them needing to make cuts before the roster deadline on 2 March.