The club are now said to be focusing their efforts on signing a new striker and goalkeeper, having seen a deal for Hajduk Split shot-stopper Lovre Kalinic collapse over work permit issues.
The likes of Sky Sports claimed last week that Sane was poised to join Villa on loan for the rest of the season after Bordeaux president Jean-Louis Triaud confirmed to French newspaper Sud Ouest that the Ligue 1 club had fielded enquiries about the Senegal international.
However, reports have since suggested that Les Girondins would rather sell the 6ft 4in centre-back outright, citing a £5 million asking price [h/t Daily Mail].
With limited funds available, the Premier League strugglers are now believed to have pulled out of a potential deal and are instead prioritising their search for a new goalkeeper and striker as the final week of the winter transfer window approaches.
They had seemingly found their shot-stopper earlier this week in Hajduk Split's highly-rated Lovre Kalinic, but a proposed £4.9 million move is now said to have collapsed after the two-times capped Croatia international’s initial work permit application and subsequent appeal were both rejected [h/t Telegraph].
Speaking on Friday to Index, Hajduk president Marin Brbic confirmed that a deal had previously been in place to sell the 6ft 7in custodian to Villa but seemed resigned to the fact that the transfer would now not go ahead.
"We heard about it, but we have not yet received official confirmation," he told the Croatian website. "It is for us a great financial loss, no one can deny it.
"He is still the keeper of Hajduk and the team. We hope he will defend just as well as before.”