St. Johnstone manager Tommy Wright has told The Scottish Sun that he thinks Rangers' pursuit of Michael O'Halloran could be dead by the end of the week.
O'Halloran, 25, started his career with Celtic, before moving on to Bolton Wanderers. After just two appearances for the Trotters, the forward moved back to Scotland with St. Johnstone in 2014 - and it's a move which has paid dividends.
The Scottish ace, who can play up front or out wide, hit ten goals for St. Johnstone last season, as well as another four this term in an impressive stint in Perth.
However, his exploits at McDiarmid Park have now triggered interest in his signature, with BBC Sport reporting last week that Scottish Championship side Rangers had seen two bids for the player rejected.
The situation developed over the weekend as O'Halloran was left out of the St. Johnstone side to face Hamilton on Saturday afternoon, triggering further speculation that he would be on his way to Ibrox.
Sky Sports reported on Monday that Rangers were ready to submit a third bid for O'Halloran, but there has been no confirmation of that, leaving St. Johnstone in limbo.
Manager Tommy Wright has now spoken to The Scottish Sun about the situation, stating that he feels the deal has dragged on now - and believes the move may be dead by the end of the week, if Rangers don't come back with a third offer, effectively setting a deadline for the Gers to get the transfer done.
"It has dragged on for a while," said Wright. "From my point of view, I want to know where I stand in terms of is he staying or going. It does have an effect on what happens. I want Mikey to stay, there’s no question about that. I’ve told him that and the club too."
"It’s probably not doing him any good that it’s dragging on but he’s going to have to deal with it. If it goes to the end of the week and there’s no bid then I think that’s it dead," he added.
Will O'Halloran become a Rangers player?