West Ham United co-chairman David Sullivan revealed on Sky Sports News HQ on Tuesday afternoon (January 18) that the club could sign a striker in the January transfer window.
Sullivan also suggested that forward Mauro Zarate could be allowed to leave this month if the injury situation gets better.
“There is a possibility that a striker will come on loan in the next seven days with the option to buy him,” said Sullivan. “He is an overseas striker.
“I think it depends on the injury situation,” said the 66-year-old when asked about Zarate’s future. “Mauro wants first-team football, and he realises that if everyone’s available, he may be a little bit down in the batting order.
“So it’s just possible that we let him go, but at this moment in time we cannot let anybody go until we see our injury situation.”
According to The Times, Fiorentina are interested in signing Zarate from West Ham in the January transfer window.
A recent report in Marca claimed that Spanish club Malaga are interested in securing the services of the Argentine forward.
The 28-year-old forward has been on the books of West Ham since 2014. The former Lazio star has featured in 15 Premier League matches so far this season, scoring three goals and creating 20 chances in the process.
Zarate has a pass accuracy of 85% and a shot accuracy of 52%, and has won one header, 21 dribbles and 22 tackles.
West Ham are sixth in the Premier League table at the moment with 35 points from 22 matches, just four points behind Tottenham Hotspur, who are currently fourth and occupy the final Champions League spot.