Montpellier defender Daniel Congre is quoted by Foot Mercato as saying that he did have contact over a move to Aston Villa, but intends to stay where he is.
Congre, 30, came up through the ranks with his hometown club Toulouse, racking up over 200 appearances before joining Montpellier in 2012.
A former France Under-21 international, Congre - who can play at centre back or right back - has been a solid servant during his time with Toulouse and Montpellier, and that has triggered interest in his services.
The Daily Star reported earlier this month that Aston Villa and their French boss Remi Garde were looking to bring Congre to the Premier League, as they look to fight against relegation.
Congre has subsequently been asked about his future, and was specifically asked whether he would be moving to Villa Park - but told Foot Mercato that whilst there was contact over a January transfer, he has decided to commit his future to Montpellier.
"I am 100% Montpellier, there was some contact but nothing very concrete," said Congre, with the report stating that Congre could now sign a new two-year contract extension.
The Birmingham Mail report that Villa are close to signing Lamine Sane from Bordeaux, meaning that Garde is unlikely to be in the market for any more central defenders, especially given that he already has the likes of Micah Richards, Joleon Lescott and Jores Okore.
However, with Jordan Amavi out for the rest of the season, a left back could still be targeted by Villa, who have renewed hope of Premier League survival after beating Crystal Palace on Tuesday night.