Alexandre Lacazette shares the reason why he rejected Newcastle transfer this week

Alexandre Lacazette

Lyon's Alexandre Lacazette has opened up on his Newcastle snub.

Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette says a departure is not possible for him this month, hence his snub when Newcastle approached him earlier this week, as quoted by Foot Mercato.

Lacazette, 24, was born and bred in Lyon, and came up through the ranks at the Stade Gerland, becoming a star for the French giants in the process.

With 53 goals in two seasons prior to this campaign, the France international had become one of the most sought-after strikers in Europe - but this season has been much tougher.

Lacazette has scored nine goals in 23 games; far from a disgraceful record, but still not quite at the level that was expected of him before the start of the season.

However, earlier this week, French newspaper L'Equipe reported that Newcastle had lodged a huge, ambitious bid to sign Lacazette during this month's transfer window, but the forward had rejected a move to St. James' Park.

Lacazette was back in the Lyon side on Saturday as they beat Bastia 4-1, and he got his name on the scoresheet before chatting to the press about that rejected move to Newcastle.

As quoted by Foot Mercato, Lacazette told the French press that he doesn't want to leave his hometown club, and his agent knew that too, so they decided to reject the notion of a deal with the Magpies immediately.

"For me a departure is not possible," said Lacazette. "My agent, David Venditelli, he cares. He knows very well that I did not want to leave, so he declined the offer," he added.

Which striker would you like to see Newcastle sign this month?

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch