Carlos Carvalhal admits difficulties over dropping Sheffield Wednesday midfielder Jose Semedo

Sheffield Wednesday

Jose Semedo has made just 11 appearances for Sheffield Wednesday this season.

Carlos Carvalhal has told Sheffield Wednesday’s official site that he has been losing sleep over keeping Jose Semedo out of his first-team squad.

Semedo was not even in Wednesday’s 18 for their most recent outing against Cardiff City, with the central midfielder slipping down the pecking order at Hillsborough.

But Carvalhal insists that the Portuguese midfielder has not kicked up a fuss about being left out, because he is such a team player.

"He’s an unbelievable professional," Carvalhal said. "He wasn’t in the squad in the last game, I spoke with him in the morning and I said to him, ‘I didn’t sleep well because you work very well, you are a fantastic professional. But I can’t put all the players in the 18.'

“Semedo just answered, ‘I am here to work for Sheffield Wednesday and you are here to make decisions, no problem.’

“It’s amazing when you hear this from a player. He is a team player.”

Semedo has become a fans’ favourite at QPR during his four years at the club, and he has previously been a very important player.

However, the 30-year-old has been forced out of the team after the Owls’ brought in a large volume of new players during the summer transfer window.

Wednesday increased the quality of their squad considerably before the season started, and their promotion credentials have been shown in recent weeks.

Carvalhal’s side have lost just two of their last 17 matches, and their excellent form means that Semedo’s task of breaking back into the squad is more difficult than ever.

Semedo has played 11 times for Wednesday this season, and he has scored once in that period.

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch