Lavery is currently on loan at Portsmouth, but his temporary deal will expire in the new year.
The 23-year-old’s future at Hillsborough will then be assessed, and he admits that there is a possibility that he could move on permanently.
“I think they have had someone come to watch the games,” he said. “But I have not spoken to anyone.
“They said January time they will re-evaluate and we’ll see what happens, where both clubs are and how I am feeling. We will go from there.
“I think there is always that possibility as a player they might not want you.”
Lavery was utilised in Wednesday’s first-team towards the end of the previous campaign, but manager Carlos Carvalhal seems to have reservations over selecting the youngster.
Wednesday have bolstered their attacking options and that has seen Lavery fall down the pecking order at Hillsborough.
Lavery has played nine matches for Portsmouth so far, and he seems to be settling in well at Fratton Park.
The Northern Irish born attacker has netted four times for Pompey so far, and he has broken into their starting line-up now.
Portsmouth are currently in fourth place in the League Two table and they could yet be keen to extend Lavery’s deal in January, should the opportunity arise.