The 27-year-old American has recently been linked with a January move to the Hammers.
The 27-year-old American, who signed a new deal with the Dynamo just last week, recently took to Twitter to confirm that he is spending the first portion of his offseason at Upton Park, following reports linking him with a move to the Premier League club this winter.
Really enjoying my time here @whufc_official. Thank you to the staff and players for making me feel welcome— Tyler Deric (@tyderic) December 10, 2015
The Sun claimed earlier this month that West Ham were bringing the 6ft 3in stopper over to England to get a closer look at him ahead of lodging a potential bid, but it remains to be seen how much truth there is behind those suggestions.
Plenty of MLS players have had offseason training stints at English clubs in the past simply to maintain their fitness levels, while even if the Hammers were interested in a permanent move for the Texas native, it is hard to see how he would be able to secure a work permit without an international cap to his name.
Regardless, Deric certainly seems to be enjoying his stay in east London so far, and after his stellar 2015 campaign, it would be understandable if the club were at least somewhat intrigued to find out whether his signature would be worth pursuing.
The former University of North Carolina product, who became the Dynamo’s first homegrown signing back in 2009, racked up an MLS-leading 14 Save of the Week nominations in his first full season as a starter – winning four of them – and even earned support for a first US national team call-up.
The club ultimately missed out on a playoff spot under new head coach Owen Coyle following a disappointing eight-place finish in the Western Conference, but there is little doubt that their record could have looked a lot worse were it not for Deric's shot-stopping heroics between the posts.
Nevertheless, having since been rewarded with a new deal, the timing of West Ham's reported interest seems somewhat odd, and the emerging custodian's recent comments to MLSSoccer.com suggest that he will be back at BBVA Compass Stadium for 2016.
"I had a lot of conversations with Owen Coyle and the entire coaching staff about who this team’s going to be next year,” Deric said. “They made it clear they wanted to sign the core group of players and have good leadership… I think it’s great. I think Giles [Barnes], Will [Bruin] and I re-signed this year, and we’re all committed to this club.
“The rebuilding process, people said it was last year, I think coming this year we have more of an identity of what we want to do. We learned a lot from this terrible season, I’ll say it. We were all unhappy and we’ve all found our voices and we know what we have to do next year to improve.”