A few things Liverpool fans need to know about the latest young player to make an impact in the first-team.
Liverpool played their final Europa League group game this evening and they gave 21-year-old left-back Brad Smith a chance against Swiss side FC Sion.
Smith has spent his entire career to date at Anfield but this is his first start as Reds manager Jurgen Klopp continues to show he is willing to give youth a chance if the player is deemed good enough.
For those Liverpool fans wanting to know a little more about Smith, here are five facts to get you started:
1) Smith was born in Australia in April 1994 but he moved to England when he was 14. He was later spotted by a Liverpool scout while playing for his school team and subsequently signed a deal at Anfield.
2) Smith is predominantly a left-back but he can also play as a left winger if required and it was in the latter position that he made his Liverpool first-team debut from the bench in a match against Chelsea in 2013.
3) Smith had to wait patiently for his next outing, which did not come until earlier this season against Southampton in the Capital One Cup, but he has featured 31 times for Liverpool’s under-21 side, scoring two goals and providing eight assists at that level.
4) The young defender had a spell on loan at Swindon Town where he featured 10 times and provided one assist.
5) A contract dispute seemingly put an end to his time at Liverpool but the Reds kept hold of his registration and he ultimately signed a new contract earlier this season.