Liverpool media round-up: Klopp assesses his start, Clyne on trophy hunger, new Mignolet deal

Paisley Gateway

A selection of the latest stories in the media involving Liverpool Football Club this Wednesday morning.

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp has assessed the start to his managerial reign at Anfield as 'okay' but is still annoyed about his solitary defeat to Crystal Palace at the start of November. 

It is the only defeat of Klopp's 10-game reign so far and he is quoted in the Liverpool Echo saying there is much more to come from his side as they prepare for tonight's League Cup quarter-final against Southampton at St Mary's.

Klopp said: “I think we are giving the players as much information as we can. Every day, if I tell them all things I know, for sure it would be too much. It is all about timing. The right amount of information is very important.

“We don’t want them going on to the pitch with their papers thinking ‘what is point three?’. We are just looking for the next step.

“Until now it’s been okay. I’d really like to change my personality but I can’t forget this ****ing loss against Crystal Palace! If we had won this maybe then I would have said it was more than okay.”

One man who has played in every game under Klopp so far is Nathaniel Clyne and he has said he does not need a rest despite preparing for his fourth game in 11 days, and has spoken of his desire to win silverware with the Reds, and a win tonight puts the Reds within 180 minutes of a place in the final.

Clyne is quoted in the Liverpool Echo, saying: “I enjoy playing and the more games I play, the better I feel.

“This is definitely a great chance to win a trophy. Win this and we will be in the semis.

“I got to the semis in this competition with Palace. We beat Man United but then we lost to Cardiff. It’s highs and lows.

“It would be great to go further. We’re in good form and we want to keep that run going."

Yesterday goalkeeper Simon Mignolet received a huge vote of confidence from Jurgen Klopp as he said he was happy with the quality of goalkeepers in the squad. The Guardian, among other newspapers, have reported that the Reds are to offer Mignolet a new contract. 

Mignolet's current deal at the club, which was agreed when he signed for the Reds in 2012, runs until 2018 with the Guardian's report suggesting his £60,000 per week pay is likely to increase.

Register for LIVERPOOL team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch