Sam Allardyce hints at the number of players likely to leave Sunderland in January

Sunderland Gates

Sunderland are already making preparations ahead of what will be a crucial January transfer window.

Sam Allardyce has told the Chronicle that he is anticipating two departures from Sunderland during the January transfer window.

The 60-year-old boss has been working hard to gauge the quality of his squad over his first few weeks in charge.

And Allardyce claims that up to two players could leave the Stadium of Light in January, as he feels that they aren’t good enough.

"I will, sooner or later, have to decide on which and where we’re going, and what players I think are going to get us there," he said. "Maybe one or two, unfortunately, fall by the wayside if that’s the case.

“That’s my responsibility, to make that judgement. That’s why I’m the manager.”

Allardyce has been working hard to make an impact at Sunderland, but so far his arrival has not sparked too much of an improvement in the side’s results.

Sunderland have picked up just one win under Allardyce’s leadership, and they appear to still remain in a relegation battle.

The Black Cats are currently four points away from safety, and they have looked off the pace for much of the season so far.

Sunderland will hope to show that they have made improvements over the international break though, with the side’s next match coming against Crystal Palace on Monday evening.

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch