John Carver suggests Newcastle will get offers for Georginio Wijnaldum next summer

St James Park

Georginio Wijnaldum joined Newcastle United in the summer transfer window.

John Carver said on the Matchday Live With Fletch & Sav show on BT Sport 1 on Saturday morning that Newcastle United could get offers for Georginio Wijnaldum next summer.

“They invested well in the summer,” said the former Newcastle head coach. “I thought of the four players they brought in, three of them have been big hits - especially Georginio Wijnaldum and if they keep hold of him great.

“I think there’ll be a big side looking at him, trying to get hold of him already in the summer.”

Wijnaldum joined Newcastle from PSV in the summer transfer window and has already shown what he is capable of.

The Dutchman was one of the best players in the Eredivisie, and he has been playing well for the Magpies this season.

The 24-year-old Netherlands international midfielder has scored six goals and created 16 chances in 12 Premier League appearances so far this campaign.

The former Feyenoord star has a pass accuracy of 85% and a shot accuracy of 79%, and has won six headers, 22 dribbles and seven tackles.

Newcastle are 17th in the Premier League table at the moment with 10 points from 12 matches, just two points above the relegation zone.

Steve McClaren’s side will take on Leicester City at St. James’ Park in the league after the two-week international break.

Register for NEWCASTLE UNITED team updates

Register for HITC Sport - Daily Dispatch