Former Newcastle United goalkeeper Steve Harper has told Sky Sports that he won't be making a return to St. James' Park after Tim Krul's injury.
Harper, 40, started his career with Newcastle, and whilst he was largely used as cover for Shay Given, Harper did rack up almost 200 appearances for the club before leaving for Hull City in 2013.
The veteran shot stopper left the KC Stadium over the summer, and remains a free agent after no club moved to sign him before the transfer deadline.
Now though, some Newcastle fans have wondered whether the club should look to bring Harper back to St. James' Park, with a real goalkeeping crisis facing manager Steve McClaren.
Tim Krul suffered knee ligament damage on international duty with the Netherlands on Saturday, ruling him out for the rest of the season, whilst Karl Darlow is also on the sidelines right now with a foot injury.
Signing Harper would give Newcastle veteran cover with Krul and Darlow injured, but when asked by Sky Sports about a potential return to St. James' Park, Harper says that there is no comeback on the horizon due to the 25-man squad limits in the Premier League.
"I'm keeping myself fit but it is irrelevant sadly as they have a 25-man squad which they can't add to but I've had a load of phone calls over the summer," said Harper. "I played the last seven games of the season and I enjoyed last year. I kept four clean sheets in nine Premier League games, not bad for an old man.
"But we'll see; I've had a million phone calls from all sorts of agents asking me about this, that and the other. It was Denmark last week and a couple of calls more recently. I'll keep ticking over, obviously you can't go on forever but if something does come up which ticks all the boxes then I'd certainly jump at the opportunity," he added.
That means that Rob Elliot will be in goal after the international break, with 18-year-old stopper Freddie Woodman recalled from Crawley Town as his backup whilst Darlow recovers from injury.